Friday, April 11, 2008

Are You An Open Nester?

Carolyn McCulley, who works for Sovereign Grace Ministries, recently had this post on her Radical Womanhood blog:
When I was in Charlotte this past weekend, I learned a great phrase coined by my hostess, Jane Connolly. Instead of referring to women with grown children as "empty nesters," she speaks of such women as "open nesters." These women are in a season where they can now be open to new people to care for and new ways for God to use the experience and wisdom they have gleaned from rearing children of their own.

I love both the phrase and the idea! I love the God-centered optimism in that phrase. I love the hint of excitement about what could happen. And I love the flexibility and servant's heart represented in it.

So, to those of you who are open-nesters, how have you used this time? What has God done with your time, wisdom, and availability?