Monday, February 16, 2009

Our Foolishness and God's Great Salvation....

Before the Lord saved me--I was a proud, thoughtless girl, fond of dress and finery. I loved the world and the things that are in the world. I went once on a Sunday to church, more to see and be seen--than to pray, or hear the Word of God. I thought I was quite good enough to be saved, and disliked and often laughed at pious people. I was in great darkness; I knew nothing of the way of salvation; I never prayed, nor was sensible of the dreadful danger of a prayerless state. I was tolerably moral and decent in my conduct, from motives of carnal and worldly policy; but I was a stranger to God and Christ. I neglected my soul; and had I died in such a state, hell must, and would justly, have been my portion!

But He who loved me with an everlasting love--drew me by His loving kindness, showed my the way of peace, and taught me that, while without Him I could do nothing--yet I could do all things through His strength!

I was convinced of my own guilt--and Jesus is my 'Righteousness'.

I saw my corruption--and Jesus is my 'Sanctification'.

I felt my slavery to sin and Satan--and Jesus is my 'Redemption'.




~Legh Richmond, "The Dairyman's Daughter"