Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Recommended Books

by Deborah H.


Because of my involvement in the Living in a Fallen World Series from Day One Publishing, I want to read all the books in the series to ascertain which ones I solidly endorse and which ones I don’t. Recently Day One came out with another 8 books in their series, of which my Help! Someone I Love has Alzheimer’s is a part.

After reading a number of these new books, I have two more I’d like to heartily endorse.

The first is Help! I’m Confused About Dating. Joel James, a friend of BCLR through his association with Dr. Mack’s ministry in South Africa, did a beautiful job writing this book. It points young people to the Lord, showing them how they can honor Him through their relationships and still have a deeply rewarding and enjoying time in the process. It provides practical guidelines for what to look for in a potential mate and how to navigate some of the tricky twists and turns that any relationship can present. I can enthusiastically recommend it to those who have dating-aged children. I have given it to one of the young women I mentor and have received favorable comments from her.

I wish they’d selected another title because this book is not just for those confused by the problems dating presents. It is for any young man or woman who is entering this season of life—especially those who care about conducting themselves in a godly, disciplined and God-honoring way. Though the writing is light, personal, practical, and fun, it packs a punch for those seeking to live a life pleasing to the Lord. It shows just how “do-able” dating can be – all the while honoring God through these relationships. I wish I’d read it before I started dating about 100 years ago. Please get several copies of this book. I guarantee you’ll want to give them to lots of families you know.

The second book I can enthusiastically endorse is written by Glenda Hutton: Help! I Can’t Submit to My Husband. Just as the above-mentioned book is one of the best I’ve read on Christian dating, this is one of the best I’ve read on godly submission to our husbands. It tackles some of the difficult objections women have to this important doctrine, and does it in a way that doesn’t threaten, doesn’t beat you down, or present a "holier than thou" attitude to those who struggle with this command.

Her advice and philosophies are richly supported by many sound biblical passages where she truly comes alongside the hurting, frustrated woman struggling with the practicality of such a teaching. She deals with questions like, “Does God think I’m a 2nd class citizen just because I’m a woman?” or “How can I treat my husband with respect when he doesn’t act in a manner deserving that respect?” “How can I follow his leadership when I don’t see evidence of anything resembling leadership?” “My husband is not even a Christian. Surely this submission thing doesn’t apply to me!”

Not only does she deal with biblical submission to our own husbands in a theologically sound manner, but in a personal, warm, intimate way that reflects her own struggles before she came to understand, love, and appreciate this highly misunderstood doctrine. She demonstrates in biblical ways what a freeing, joyful way of life this can give us, reminding us that placing ourselves in our biblical roles with our husband is one way we can obey, love, honor and glorify our Lord Jesus Christ. So we serve Him by loving, respecting, and yes, submitting to the man He has given us. This is an excellent book which I found to be clearly written, biblically sound, and highly encouraging. Again, I urge you to buy several copies so you can give them to those who struggle with this concept.

With several books remaining for me to read, I may have more I’d especially like to recommend. In the meanwhile, get these books. They’re quick reads – only 60 pages each – but really effective as ministry tools for others, as well as informing, challenging, and supporting each of us as we seek to live lives pleasing to the Lord.