Monday, December 31, 2012

Prayer for Grace

By Jennifer R.






My hands will I lift up unto Thy commandments which I have loved.
Open Thou mine eyes that I may see,
incline my heart that I may desire,
order my steps that I may follow,
the way of Thy commandments.
O Lord God, be Thou to me a God,
and beside Thee none else,
none else, nought else with Thee.
Vouchsafe to me, to worship Thee and serve Thee
1. in truth of spirit,
2. in reverence of body,
3. in blessing of lips,
4. in private and in public;
5. to pay honour to them that have the rule over me,
by obedience and submission,
to shew affection to my own,
by carefulness and providence;
6. to overcome evil with good;
7. to possess my vessel in sanctification and honour;
8. to have my converse without covetousness,
content with what I have;
9. to speak the truth in love;
10. to be desirous not to lust,
not to lust passionately,
not to go after lusts.

~ From the Private Devotions of Lancelot Andrewes

There is so much in this prayer that is convicting to me! The lines that have the most impact on me, though, are the first five lines. There is great humility in realizing that unless God opens my eyes, I won't see. Unless He inclines my heart, I won't desire Him. Unless He orders my steps, I will go my own way and not walk in the way of His commandments.

As we come upon the beginning of another year, some of us will set goals or resolutions for the year. That is a good and healthy thing to do. However, as we set those goals, let us acknowledge that we are powerless to accomplish them in our own strength. May we humbly pray for our eyes to be opened, our hearts to be inclined to desire Him, and our steps to be ordered to follow His ways.