Monday, June 10, 2013

Bringing God Glory Through Technology

By Kim W.

After discussing the pros and cons of Facebook, we must examine our hearts and motives on how we choose to use it. We make many choices each and every day... we choose how to spend each moment of the day and we can bring God glory through our choices.

Proverbs 14:1 says, "The wisest of women builds her house, but folly with her own hands tears it down."

Another Scripture that is helpful is Proverbs 11:22, which states, "Like a gold ring in a pig's snout, so is a beautiful woman without discretion."

Of course, we cannot forget Paul's words to us in Titus chapter 2, where he tells us how to give God glory as a woman who desires to live for Him. What does that look like?

She is reverent, not one who gossips, and is not enslaved to wine or anything that can be enslaving.

What does she do? She is to teach the younger women to love their husbands, love their children, to be sensible, to be pure, to be workers at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their own husbands.

To be that Titus 2 woman, it takes a lot of time... it takes devotion... and it takes discipline. How we choose to spend each moment of each day does make a difference and we should be discerning about that. Facebook is something we can use for God's glory. If you would like, you can read through the first post here to be reminded of the pros or benefits of Facebook. But even if it is lawful and fine to be on Facebook, we must ask ourselves these questions:

  1. Is this useful, prudent, or profitable for the kingdom of God?
  2. Is it better at times to not do things that would be perfectly fine and allowed by Scripture, if there is a greater priority involved?
  3. Does it offend others in any way?
  4. Is it the best choice for that moment?
  5. Does it build up others in the faith? Are you using it for that reason?
  6. Is it profitable spiritually for yourself?
  7. Does it give glory to God or yourself?
  8. It is a habit or routine that you are being ruled by? Does it control me? Is my time swallowed up with Facebook because I am allowing it to be my routine?

A final Scripture to consider: 1 Corinthians 10:31 says, "So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."

What is the glory of God? God's glory is equivalent to giving honor to Him who is completely deserving of that honor. God should receive all glory because of who He is and what He has done. His character, His nature, and His attributes demand that He is solely deserving of all glory. When we think about what He has done for us, we see that He has loved us with an everlasting love, He saved us from our sinful state, He has completely forgiven us as far as the east is from the west, He has redeemed us, and He has paid our debt in full--a debt we could never pay. Yes, He is deserving of receiving all glory from our lives! Every choice we make should be to bring more honor and glory to Him because of who He is and what He has done.

How we behave in this world, specifically on Facebook, should reflect honor to God. We should be women who, first of all, are striving to be that Titus 2 woman through our daily choices... we should be women who have great discretion in a very public venue like Facebook... and we should be women who are wise to see that our choices can build up our home or tear it down. I also think we should be gentle on Facebook, always being careful of our tone and word choices.

I would like to end with some heart questions for all of us to consider. I think it is wise to examine our hearts daily and see if there is anything that we need to repent of and change.

  • Am I using Facebook for ministry purposes?
  • Do I encourage others on Facebook?
  • Do I ever find myself promoting myself and my image on Facebook?
  • Does the time I spend on Facebook take precedence over time that I should be doing more important things?
  • Does Facebook ever cause me to waste time? Am I spending unnecessary time on Facebook doing quizzes and games that are not profitable for me spiritually?
  • Have I ever pushed aside my children or husband so that I could continue spending more time on Facebook?
  • Do my children have to wait for me to get off the computer to have their needs met?
  • Has time on Facebook been more enjoyable to me than time spent with my husband?
  • Has my husband ever said that I spend too much time on Facebook?
  • Do meals, laundry, or housekeeping get delayed because of computer time?
  • Do I secretly like the idea of talking with another man besides my husband on Facebook? Have I ever sought out men to be friends with with wrong motives?
  • Do I put aside my time in the Word to check Facebook?
  • Is Facebook helping me in my walk with Christ? If so, how? If not, what needs to change?
  • Is having a Facebook advantageous to my Biblical calling as a woman?
  • Is Facebook a tool being used in my life to bring glory to God or is it a distraction?