Monday, October 22, 2012

Family Resemblance

By Kim. M.


Don’t you just love an “Aha” moment? This morning I had an “Aha” morning! It started when I read a Facebook post from a grown man wishing his dad a happy birthday. In the post he said, “I know I’m doing something right when people tell me that I remind them of you.”

My first thought was, “Wow, what a compliment for any parent!” But as I let that post sink in, it caused me to wonder, “Could any of MY kids say this about me? About the life I live?” This thought took me back in my mind to March, 1998. Katie, our oldest was seven and in second grade. I found a note she had written that said, “I want to be like Mommie”. I remember reading that note and having the very breath sucked right out of me as the impact of those words hit me. From deep inside I cried out, “Be like me?! No! Not like me, KATIE, not like ME!”

I tucked that note in my Bible…right on the page with 1 Corinthians 11:1 where it says: Be imitators of me, just as I also am of Christ. I’ve let the note and the verse serve as a motivating truth for the last 14 years. The sobering reality is….my kids are watching me. They do imitate me. And with each new child God has brought into our home, the weight of that reality has increased. I want my kids to imitate me only as I imitate Christ. I want to live a life that is transparent so that they can learn from my mistakes and grow from what He is teaching me. This reality also challenges me to keep my eyes on Him; to focus on the goal of becoming more and more Christ-like.

I have had the privilege of having a mentor in life who set an example of pursuing Christ-likeness. Hebrews 13:7 always reminds me of her. It tells us to “remember those who led you, who spoke the Word of God to you, and considering the result of their conduct, imitate their faith.” Ever notice how someone lives a life that is an example worth following? They do it by faith, and they lead both in word and action. It’s not just the talk, it’s also the walk. Yes, they speak the word – they correct, reprove, exhort, and encourage with godly counsel; but they also live in such a way that their life matches their words. We see their faith in the result of their conduct. They live a life of faith that is “imitation material.” Do they live it perfectly? Of course not- none of us do. But when we observe their words and life, we discover character and faith worth imitating because they imitate Christ.

There is a poem written by John Wooden, the late coach of the UCLA Bruins, entitled “The Little Chap Who Follows Me” that I have reflected on over the years. I have taken the liberty of changing a few words and pronouns to apply this poem to my life; to motivate me to holy living. See if it gives you pause for thought, too.

The Little Girl Who Follows Me

A careful mom I ought to be,
A little girl follows me,
I do not dare to go astray
For fear she'll go the selfsame way.

I cannot once escape her eyes,
Whate'er she sees me do, she tries;
Like me, she says, she's going to be,
The little girl who follows me.

She thinks that I am good and fine,
Believes in every word of mine
The base in me she must not see,
The little girl who follows me.

I must remember as I go,
Through summer's fun and winter's snow,
In building for the years to be
The little girl who follows me!

What a reminder even now as my three “little girls” are young women, that I am always setting an example before them with my life. My heart felt prayer, whether in mothering or mentoring, is written in the margin of my Bible beside Hebrews 13:7. It says, “O Lord, may this verse be true of me someday! May my children be able to say this… that I live a life worth imitating because I imitate You… for Your glory.” It is HIM I want them to see… to see through me to Him! Isn’t that what it’s really about? Living in such a way that others see Him in me… that they see the family resemblance?

This leads me to my second “Aha” moment of the morning. As I continued to ponder on the birthday post (“I know I’m doing something right when people tell me I remind them of you.”), another truth of this simple post became clear. It’s not just living my life as an example for others to follow but THIS is one way I glorify my Father in heaven! It’s by living my life in such a way that others say, “You remind me of Him!” My words and example reflect my Father and His grace and work in me! This was a “connect the dots” thought for me. Although I am sure this truth should have been obvious all along, some days I can be a slow learner. Matthew 5:16 says, “Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven.” I live as an example to others and I live as a reflection of my Father… all to bring Him honor.

Is it a coincidence that this verse, Matthew 5:16, was my mentor Lib Wenger’s life verse? I think not! She purposed to live a life worth imitating and one that reflected her Father and gave Him glory. Living a life worth imitating doesn’t happen by accident. Living a life worth imitating is made one choice at a time through the power of the Holy Spirit living in us. My life is not about me. It’s about Him. So now added to my prayer of living a life worth imitating – I pray that when others see my life, it is a reflection of my Father and a reflection that brings Him glory. I know I am fully accepted in Christ, because of His work for me on the cross. As a result of that glorious truth, I want my life be an overflow of my heart for all He has done for me. May I bring a smile to His face when others say “You remind me of your Father.”

May the reality of belonging to the Father’s family be lived out daily in all our lives so that others may see our good works, and our “life worth imitating,” and may that glorify our Father. When others look at our lives, may they see the “family resemblance.”