Monday, November 5, 2012

Hospitality and Brownies (Part 1)


By Caitlin D.

Some weeks ago, S. asked me to go with her as she led her ladies' Bible study in the village, and I accepted.

As we drove, she began to tell me about the living conditions in the village. The houses are often made of dirt, and when the heavy rains come, sometimes the houses fall in on top of them. The water that they use is pumped by hand from the underground streams that branch off from the Ganges River.

I listen to her as she describes all this, and I think about my comfortable home in the States. I think of my cushy lifestyle, and of how easy it is to be a Christian in my part of the world. Shame and uneasiness begin to creep over me like a dark cloud. But I kept a cheerful face and resolved to play it by ear and simply do my best.

We come to a little house and women and children gather around S. She begins to talk merrily with them, and when she introduces me, they all smile.

We all sit down, and she begins a song. They all join in and they clap their hands in a lively rhythm. I don't know the song, but I clap along enthusiastically. I hear everyone singing, as we say in the States, "with gusto." (May I just say right here that any Christian who refuses to let his voice be heard because he or she "doesn't have a good voice," would do well to visit another country and see how eager everyone in the tiny churches are to praise the Lord together, whether or not they "can sing." It does a heart good to hear wholehearted, unpretentious singing!)

S. begins to teach, and absolute silence falls. I watch the faces of the women and children. Their eyes are riveted on her face. Some of them are actually leaning forward a little, intent on catching every word. The children are crowded round the door, and they too are absolutely spellbound. I look at the pictures that S. holds up, and I watch her gesture with her hands. I listen to the tone of her voice, and I find I can follow along a little. What strikes me most is S's face. She is radiant. Her eyes glow from their very deepest depths, and I can hear love and joy and delight spilling out in every word she utters. She is placing a spiritual feast before a group of starving sisters. This is what she does. She left her comfy life in the States so that she could be like Christ, serving the "least of these."

I look deeply into her eyes, and I feel passion stirring up my soul. I want to serve like that. I want to live a life that is useful to Christ. I want to help others in my life, just like her. I want that kind of joy, and as I look at the faces of these needy hurting hearts, I say in my heart, "Oh, Lord, please make me useful to You! Let me live a life that helps others, so that I can further Your kingdom!"