Thursday, November 8, 2012

Humility and Hospitality

By Kimberly C.


Many people have told me I am a hospitable person. I guess one can get prideful in these affirmations and think that we have it down and don't need to improve, but this recent season of moving and baby-having has taught me I have a lot of room to grow in this discipline (and it is a discipline).

The famed Merriam-Webster defines hospitality as: given to a cordial or generous reception of guests. And as one growing up in the South, I often think of hospitality as decorating your table nicely for a meal and baking something scrumptious. Neither of these definitions really hit at the heart of what I think true, biblical, gospel-driven hospitality is.

How I would define gospel-driven hospitality is this: a Christ-like attitude that welcomes ALL others as Christ would welcome them - no matter your location, cooking skill, or budget.

Let me give you a biblical example, then a personal example, and end with some take-home points:

BIBLICAL EXAMPLE: David and Mephibosheth. Mephibo-who? Take a few minutes to read it: 2 Samuel 9 (I'll wait...) Here is my KDC version: David was King. He could do anything he wanted with whomever he wanted. His feasts were one-of-a-kind. Mephibosheth was related to King Saul. David had every right to extinguish Mephibosheth or at least not be kind to him. What did David do instead? He invited him to sit down at HIS table and DINE on HIS food. He literally was hospitable to a potential enemy. David showed grace where grace was not demanded. This is one of my most favorite Bible stories.

PERSONAL EXAMPLE: I was talking with Eric while we still lived in Durham and we were talking about who we wanted to come see baby Elijah. I wasn't feeling up to having many visitors but I would say things like: "But, I don't want them to come over.", or "Well, of course they can come and stay as long as they want; they are my friends." I only really wanted people around me who were my friends. I obviously wasn't desirous of hanging out with people with whom I wasn't close. I heard those sentences come out of my mouth and I froze...I wasn't being hospitable. Hospitality demands us to be impartial. Christ doesn't show partiality. We need to extend grace to whomever we can.

How does this connect with humility? In my personal example, it came down to pride. I thought I was better than those people I didn't know. Humility requires that I think of myself less. If the Holy Spirit was working humility in me, then I would be more than willing to have anyone in my home (friend or stranger) and would talk more about them and serve them than I would want to talk about myself.

So, some take-aways:
  1. Ask the Spirit to put people in your life to whom you can intentionally show hospitality. He will work! He wants to work Christ-likeness in you. Be prepared.
  2. Ask the Spirit to work humility in you, as well. This will come as an even bigger shock, but God is humble and we are called to be like Him. Christ served us when He came to earth. He was hospitality and humility in the flesh.

As the Spirit continues to shape your heart to look like His, consider this practice of humility and hospitality.