Friday, August 12, 2011

Sacred

By Aaron Wilson

It's really not called "The Mom Song," but that's my own name for it, because every time I hear it, I think of my wife - who is, of course, the mom to our four children. And, judging by the tears that fill my eyes when I listen to this song, it's really not just for moms, dads can benefit from it as well.

Sung by Danielle Young (Caedmon's Call), this upbeat song is about seeing the mundane tasks of home life as sacred events. It's about seeing motherhood as worship. This is described throughout the lyrics of the song, as you can read below. But it's most beautifully displayed in the short bridge, where the songwriter seamlessly weaves from a morning wake up call to a child, into a brief burst of praise in the melody of "Holy, Holy, Holy."

After dialing the album, "Overdressed," into my iPod this morning and hearing this song, I prayed along with the line Teach me to run to you like [my children] run to me for every little thing.

So I commend this song to you mothers and homemakers to prompt you to worship God in the midst of laundry and spills and chores and bills and dust bunnies and runny noses.

All of it is sacred.



Sacred

This house is a good mess it’s the proof of life
No way would I trade jobs but I don’t pay overtime
I’ll get to the laundry I don’t know when
I’m saying a prayer tonight cause tomorrow it starts again

Could it be that everything is sacred
And all this time
Everything I’ve dreamed of has been right before my eyes

The children are sleeping but they’re running through my mind
The sun makes them happy and the music makes them unwind
My cup runneth over, I worry about the stain
Teach me to run to you like they run to me for every little thing

Cause everything is sacred
And all this time
Everything I’ve dreamed of has been right before my eyes

When I forget to drink from you I can feel the banks harden
Lord make me like a stream to feed the garden

Wake up little sleeper
The Lord God Almighty
Made your mama keeper
So rise and shine, rise and shine, rise and shine

Cause everything is sacred
And all this time
Everything I’ve dreamed of has been right before my eyes

Words and Music by Randall Goodgame and Andrew Osenga
(c) 2007 House of Mirrors Music (ASCAP) admin. by Simpleville Music, Inc. / 2007 Mighty Molecule Music. (ASCAP) admin by Music Services

Download the song or album on Amazon or iTunes.
Also, check out this 3 minute video clip where Danielle and the band talk about how this song came about.